Thursday, October 22, 2009

strange day

I’ve had the strangest day the other day. It started out crappy and had an emotional slam finish! I woke up in the morning with more on my mind that one should have to think about before 10am. I needed something else to focus on and distract myself from my thought, but my job isn’t the best for my current state of mind because I am doing mindless activities while I am free to think about whatever I want. So it was shaping up to be an all around bad day. Around 2 I got on the bus after a stop at Starbucks for a little pick-me-up coffee. The bus was pretty packed and I sat down next to a girl with headphones in. There was a guy sitting behind me and he started talking to me, asking me what was on my earrings, he asked, “what’s that on your earring?” I said it was an eagle. He said cool what was it a symbol for? I said, “it’s the Armani symbol but I bought them in Thailand.” “Military?” “No.” “Well that’s cool Shelly.” At that my ears perked up. I got a little freaked because I hadn’t told him my name. My next thought was, “who the heck is this guy and how does he know my name?” I turned around, totally freaked and he was silent for like 30 seconds, which was too long. Then he said, “I saw your name on your cup.” I was like, “OH!” But still thought he was weird. We talked some more and then he gave me his number and told me I should call him. I got off the bus and laughed all the way home.

Then when I was leaving work I had to pee BAD! I was walking to the bus thinking, “I should’ve gone before I left!” So I stopped at a sketch corner store and went in. I asked if they had a bathroom, they said no, try down the street. Then these two black guys were in there and were like, “Hey, you can come use my bathroom, it’s right down the street…” I kind of ignored them and bought a candy bar. Well as I was walking down the street to the “next” bathroom the guys slow down in their car next to me and said, “Guuuurl, did they let you use that bathroom?” I said, “I’m fine.” And they drove on. So I went into the bank because I needed to pee and deposit a check, the guy behind the counter was weird and said he couldn’t remember the bathroom code so I should go to the Starbucks across the street. I deposited my check and went to Starbucks. I thought, “I’ll pop in and pee at Starbucks and then my bus stop is right outside!” So I went in and into the bathroom. Well, while I was in the bathroom I heard the bus pull up so I ran out and onto the bus. I was relieved that I made it! I get on the bus and sit down and realize, “There are like 5 buses that stop at this stop and I have no idea which bus I just got on.” And I have no idea how to find out what bus I’m on once you’re on! It’s something people usually check before getting on but I was in such a rush to get on that I didn’t even look! I thought, “Well I’m on now and I guess if it takes some weird turn I’ll just get off!” Well, in the meantime I had missed a call on my phone and started listening to the message on the bus; it was from a lady at work that was going to start my training on Monday. On the message she told me her name (which I forgot instantly) and then said she needed me to call her back because she had a question for me, then she started saying the number to call her back on. So I’m thinking, “Right, well I don’t have paper and pen with me so I’ll just save the message and listen to it again when I get home.” And I push the button and my phone tells me, “Message deleted.” I was like, “NOOO!!!” So I was on an unknown bus without the name or number of the lady at my new job that I was supposed to call back! You will be happy to know that it all worked out. Turns out by some twist of fate that I was in fact on my bus, the good ole 48. And I got home and she had sent me an email with her info so I called her right back as if I hadn’t completely not paid attention to her message then deleted it! Then I got home and Carrie had written me an encouragement and I cried. It was a long and strange day.